Wesley Miller, M.D.
| || |
Macalaster College, B.A.
University of Illinois
Medical School, M.D.
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis VA Health Care
System - Internal Medicine
University of Minnesota
Distinguished Teaching Professor of Medicine
Chair of the Department of Medicine
Dr. Miller attended Macalester College and earned his M.D. from the University of Illinois. He returned to the University of Minnesota for his residency in Internal Medicine followed by his fellowship in Hematology. He currently serves as the Chair of the Department of Medicine at the University of Minnesota. He has spent many years on the faculty as a hematologist and bone marrow transplant physician. His love of teaching led him to invest much time in education of students, residents, and faculty. He maintains strong expertise in blood diseases and cancers. His other special interests are in medical education and in evidence-based medicine and medical decision-making (the rigorous application of all data and systems resources to doing the best for each patient and populations of patients).
Honors, Awards, Organizations
- Teacher of the Year, Internal Medicine Residents, 1994, 1999
- Letter of Commendation for teaching, Year 2 students, 1994, 1995
- MMF Outstanding Teacher Award 1996
- MMF Distinguished Teaching Award, Year 3 & 4, 1997, 1998
- MMF Distinguished Teaching Award, Year 2 students, 1999
- All University Award for Outstanding Contributions to Graduate, Post-graduate, and Professional Education, 2000
- Academy of Medical Educators, U of Minnesota, 2000
- Academy of Distinguished Teachers, U of Minnesota, 2000
- Fellow, American College of Physicians 2002
- Medical School Graduation Greeter (elected by students), 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005
- Glaser Award Nominee, (national AOA award for faculty) 2005
- AOA Induction Ceremony Keynote Speaker, 2006, 2008
Selected Recent Publications
- Enright H, Daniels K, Arthur DC, Dusenbery KE, Kersey JH, Kim T, Miller WJ, Ramsay NKC, Vercellotti GM, Weisdorf DJ, McGlave PB: Related donor marrow transplant for chronic myeloid leukemia: patient characteristics predictive of outcome. Bone Marrow Transplantation. 17:537-542, 1996.
- Enright H, Miller WJ, Hays R, Floyd RA, Hebbel RP: Preferential targeting of oxidative base damage to internucleosomal DNA. Carcinogenesis. 17:1175-7, 1996.
- Verfaillie CM, Bhatia R, Miller W, Mortari F, Roy V, Burger S, McCullough J, Stieglbauer K, Dewald G, Heimfeld S, Miller JS, McGlave PB: BCR/ABL-negative primitive progenitors suitable for transplantation can be selected from the marrow of most early-chronic phase but not accelerated-phase chronic myelogenous leukemia patients. Blood. 87:4770-9, 1996.
- Chiang KY, Weisdorf DJ, Davies SM, Enright H, Kersey JH, McGlave PB, Miller W, Ramsay NK, Steinbuch M, Wagner JE, Blazar BR. Outcome of second bone marrow transplantation following a uniform conditioning regimen as therapy for malignant relapse. Bone Marrow Transplantation. 17:39-42, 1996.
- Enright H, Davies SM, DeFor T, Shu X, Weisdorf D, Miller W, Ramsay NK, Arthur D, Verfaillie C, Miller J, Kersey J, McGlave P. Relapse after non-T-cell-depleted allogeneic bone marrow transplantation for chronic myelogenous leukemia: early transplantation, use of an unrelated donor, and chronic graft-versus-host diesease are protective. Blood 88:714-20, 1996.
- Enright H, Miller W. Autoimmune phenomena in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes. Leukemia and Lymphoma 24:483-9, 1996.
- Weisdorf DJ, Verfaillie CM, Miller WJ, Blazar BR, Perry E, Shu XO, Daniels K, Hannan P, Ramsay NK, Kersey JH, McGlave PB. Autologous bone marrow versus non-mobilized peripheral blood stem cell transplantation for lymphoid malignancies: a prospective, comparative trial. American Journal of Hematology. 54:202-8, 1997.
- Weisdorf D, Miller J, Verfaillie C, Burns L, Wagner J, Blazar B, Davies S, Miller W, Hanna P, Steinbuch M, Ramsay N, McGlave P. Cytokine-primed bone marrow stem cells vs. peripheral blood stem cells for autologous transplantation: a randomized comparison of GM-CSF vs. G-CSF. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 3:217-23, 1997.
- Erice A, Borrel N, Li WY, Miller WJ, Balfour HH Jr. Ganciclovir susceptibilities and analysis of UL97 region in cytomegalovirus (CMV) isolates from bone marrow recipients with CMV disease after antiviral prophylaxis. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 178:531-4, 1998..
- Cragg L. Hebbel RP. Miller W. Solovey A. Selby S. Enright H. The iron chelator L1 potentiates oxidative DNA damage in iron-loaded liver cells. Blood. 92:632-8, 1998.
- Browne PV. Weisdorf DJ. DeFor T. Miller WJ. Davies SM. Filipovich A. McGlave PB. Ramsay NK. Wagner J. Enright H. Response to thalidomide therapy in refractory chronic graft-versus-host disease. Bone Marrow Transplantation. 26:865-9, 2000.
- Cragg L. Blazar BR. Defor T. Kolatker N. Miller W. Kersey J. Ramsay M. McGlave P. Filipovich A. Weisdorf D. A randomized trial comparing prednisone with antithymocyte globulin/prednisone as an initial systemic therapy for moderately severe acute graft-versus-host disease. Biology of Blood & Marrow Transplantation. 6:441-7, 2000.
- Arora M. Wagner JE. Davies SM. Blazar BR. Defor T. Enright H. Miller WJ. Weisdorf DF. Randomized clinical trial of thalidomide, cyclosporine, and prednisone versus cyclosporine and prednisone as initial therapy for chronic graft-versus-host disease. Biology of Blood & Marrow Transplantation. 7(5):265-73, 2001.
- Burns LJ. Miller W. Kandaswamy C. DeFor TE. MacMillan ML. Van Burik JA. Weisdorf DJ. Randomized clinical trial of ganciclovir vs acyclovir for prevention of cytomegalovirus antigenemia after allogeneic transplantation. [Clinical Trial. Journal Article. Randomized Controlled Trial] Bone Marrow Transplantation. 30(12):945-51, 2002.
- Arora M. Burns LJ. Davies SM. Macmillan ML. Defor TE. Miller WJ. Weisdorf DJ. Chronic graft-versus-host disease: a prospective cohort study. [Journal Article] Biology of Blood & Marrow Transplantation. 9(1):38-45, 2003.
- Nixon LJ. Benson BJ. Rogers TB. Sick BT. Miller WJ. Effects of Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education work hour restrictions on medical student experience. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 22(7):937-41, 2007.
Dept. of Medicine
MMC 284 Mayo 8284
420 Delaware St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455