Brian Sick, M.D.
University of Rochester
(magna cum laude)
University of Minnesota
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Medical Director, Primary Care Center
Medical Director, Chronic Disease Management
Medical Director, Phillips Neighborhood Clinic
Brian Sick, MD is an Assistant Professor at the University of Minnesota where he completed a dual residency in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics. He is originally from Rochester, New York where he completed both his bachelor’s and medical degrees at the University of Rochester. His academic interests include interprofessional education, history of medicine, chronic care medicine and clinical quality improvement. His clinical interests include preventative medicine and primary care for the whole family.
Honors, Awards, Organizations
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American Academy of Family Practice Family Medicine Interest Group Leadership Award 1998
- Rochester Academy of Medicine Library Award, Rochester, New York – June 2000 for Excellence in History of Medicine Research for: "The Art of Body Snatching: The History of Grave Robbing for Anatomical Instruction"
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Association for the History of Medicine
- Eagle Scout
- Sick BT and Abraham J. Seek and Ye Shall Find: Consumer Search for Objective Health Care Cost and Quality Information. American Journal of Medical Quality, 26(6). November/December 2011. 433-40.
- Serrot FJ, Dorman RB, Miller CJ, Slusarek B, Sampson B, Sick BT, Leslie DB, Buchwald H, Ikramuddin S. Comparative effectiveness of bariatric surgery and nonsurgical therapy in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus and body mass index <35 kg/m2. Surgery, 150 (4 ). October 2011. 684-691.
- Abraham J, Sick BT, Anderson J, Berg A, Dehmer C, Tufano A. Selecting a Provider: What Factors Influence Patients’ Decision-Making? Journal of Healthcare Management, 56(2). Mar/April 2011. 99-114.
- Sick B, Watson K and Brocato J. “Implementing a First-Year Medical Student Curriculum in Chronic Care Changed their Attitudes about Chronic Illness.” Storyboard Presentation, AAMC Central Group on Education Affairs, March 2009.
- Nixon LJ, Benson BJ, Rogers TB., Sick BT, Miller WJ. Effects of Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education Work-Hour Restrictions on Medical Student Experience. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 22(7), 937-41. July 2007.
- Sick B. “Improving Diabetes Care in an Academic Primary Care Practice.” Storyboard Presentation, Institute of Healthcare Improvement National Forum on Quality Improvement in Healthcare, December 12, 2006.
- Sick B. "The Cost of Body Snatching." ACP Research Poster Competition, Minnesota Chapter Meeting, November 2003.
University of Minnesota
420 Delaware Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455