John Song, M.D., M.P.H., M.A.T.
| || |
Masters of Arts
Masters of Public Health
Johns Hopkins University
University of Minnesota
Assistant Professor, Center for Bioethics
Founder and Medical Director, Phillips Neighborhood Clinic
John Song is an Associate Professor in the Center for Bioethics and in the Division of General Internal Medicine. He received his undergraduate degree in English and a Master’s degree in teaching from Brown University. He earned his M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania and completed his residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Minnesota. Following his residency, he completed a fellowship in General Internal Medicine at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and the Greenwall Fellowship in Ethics and Public Policy at Johns Hopkins and Georgetown Universities. While at Johns Hopkins, he completed a Master’s degree in Public Health.
His educational focus is bioethics education which he taught as a medical student and as a fellow. At Minnesota, he teaches bioethics in the Medical School and develops programs for students and residents. Dr. Song also has a curricular and research interest in bioethics and policy education, especially in defining the objectives and goals of bioethics, policy, and professionalism education for medical learners. He serves as the Medical School’s chapter advisor for the Gold Humanism Honor Society and nationally on the GHHS Advisory Council.
His research interests include homelessness and health, end of life care, and bioethics education. His clinical activities include attending on the general medicine inpatient service. He founded The Phillips Neighborhood Clinic, a free health clinic staffed by volunteers and students with a dual mission of serving those without insurance and professional education, in 2003 and serves as advisor for ISTOP, a street outreach medical project.
Honors, Awards, Organizations
- Board Certification in Internal Medicine
- Advisory Council Member, Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2012 -
- Standing Member, NNRC Study Section, NIH, 2010 –
- University Community Service Award, University of Minnesota, 2004
- Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award, University of Minnesota, 2004
- Delta Omega National Public Health Honor Society, Johns Hopkins, 1997
- Outstanding Community Service Award, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1991
Selected Recent Publications
- Winkelman T NA, Antiel RM, Davey CS, Tilburt JC, Song J. Medical Students and the Affordable Care Act – Results of a Multi-Site Survey. Arch Int Med .2012; 172(16).
- Song J, Ratner E, Wall M, Bartels D, Ulvestad N, Petroskas D, West M, Weber-Main AM, Grengs L, Gelberg L Effect of an End of Life Planning Intervention on the Completion of Advance Directives Among Homeless Persons: A Randomized Trial. Ann Intern Med July 20, 2010 153:76-84.
- Bramante C, Song J. Discrepancies in End-of-Life Care for the Homeless, Virtual
- Mentor 2009; 11(1): 35-6.
- Song J, Wall M, Ratner E, Bartels D, Ulves N, Dawn Dee, Lillian Gelberg. Engaging Homeless Persons in End of Life Planning, J Gen Intern Med 2008; 23:2031-2045.
- Bartels D, Wall M, Ratner E, Bartels D, Ulvestad N, Song J. Dignity Matters: Advance
- Care Planning for Homeless Persons. J Clin Ethics 2008; 19(3): 214-222.
- Song J, Ratner E, Bartels D, Alderton L, Hudson B, Ahluwalia J. Homeless persons’ Experiences and Attitudes towards Death and Dying. J Gen Intern Med 2007; 22:427 434.
- Song J, Bartels D, Ratner E, Alderton L, Hudson B, Ahluwalia J. Dying on the Streets: Homeless Persons’ Concerns and Desires about End of Life Care. J Gen Intern Med 2007; 22:435-441.
- Song J, Ratner E, Bartels D. Dying While Homeless: Is it a concern when life itself is such a struggle? J Clin Ethics. Fall 2005;16(3):251-261.
- Sorenson TD, Song J, Biebighauser S. The Limitations of Good Intentions: Providing Affordable Medications to the Uninsured. Journal of Health Care for the Poor & Underserved. 2004;15(2):152-60.
- Ratner ER, Song J. Ethics of Dying at home. Home Health Mgt. 2003;15: 123-126.
- Song, J. Homelessness and Clinical Ethics. Healthcare Ethics Committee Forum 2002;14:209-216.
- Miles SH, Song J. Behavioural Assessment for HIV Prevention: a model programme design. Inter J of STD & AIDS (2001); 12:d531.1-7
- Song JY, Safaiaen M, Strathdee S, Celentano D. Homelessness Among Drug Users And Persons With HIV/AIDS: A Longitudinal Description From The Alive Study. J of Urban Health, 77(2000):678-687.
- Terry PB, Vettese M, Song J, Forman J, Haller KB, Miller DJ, Stallings, R, and Sulmasy, DP. End of Life Decision-Making: When Patients and Surrogates Disagree. J Clin Ethics, Winter (1999): 286-293.
- Song J and Terry, PB. The Pedophilic Pediatrician: The Conflicting Obligations. J Clin Ethics, Summer (1999): 142-150.
Center for Bioethics
Suite N504 Boynton
410 Church Street
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Phone (612) 624-8936
Fax (612) 624-9108