General Policies & Procedures: Prioritization of Call Rooms
On-call room assignments are made in order of priority based on the individual’s status and responsibilities.
- Residents and fellows required to take on-call from the hospital
- Year 3 and 4 medical students required to take on-call from the hospital (first- and second-year medical students are not required to take in-house call)
- Faculty required to take on-call from the hospital
- All other trainees, staff physicians or medical students needing an on-call room
- Non-medical staff, excluding CRNAs.
A trainee who is on-call and must remain at University of Minnesota Medical Center-Fairview (either campus) is guaranteed a room in which to sleep. The trainee will have the first option for selection of on-call rooms on the fourth floor of the Mayo Building (University campus) until 9:00 p.m. (2100 hours). Thereafter, call rooms will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. If the on-call rooms on the fourth floor of the Mayo Building are full, the nursing supervisor will be contacted and she/he will locate a room for the trainee. Every effort will be made to secure call rooms for Year-3 and -4 medical students and/or attending staff physicians who are on-call and need to remain in the hospital overnight.