Institution Responsibilities: Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC) Resident Leadership Council Responsibilities
University of Minnesota Medical School (UMMS)
Graduate Medical Education Administration
Policy: GMEC Resident Leadership Council Responsibilities
Effective Date: 2.27.04
Approved by GMEC: 2.27.04
Revision Date: 11.9.09 2.16.09
Distribution: R/F; PD; PC; Institution Policy Manual; GME website
Policy Owner: GME Administration
Role of the Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC) Resident Leadership Council (RLC)
The GMEC RLC is selected each year by their peers to serve as the voice of all of the trainees. All Resident Leadership Council members are voting members of the GMEC. Trainees who have concerns can contact one of the RLC members at any time. The RLC member will then bring the issue to the GMEC for resolution. Contact Carla Nelson in the GME office at 612-625-7634 for a current list of the GMEC RLC members.
RLC Composition, Responsibilities, Schedule, Term and Selection Process
Annually Elected Members and Invitees
- UMMS RLC members are peer selected from each of the departments. There are nineteen RLC members and nineteen alternates on this committee at all times.
- Chief Residents from all departments are invited to participate in the RLC
- Associate Dean for GME/GMEC Chair
- GME Director of Education
- GME Director of Operations
- Accreditation Manager
- One Graduate Medical Education Committee administrative staff member.
The RLC shall be responsible for, but not limited in scope in assisting the GMEC in carrying out its responsibilities:
- The RLC shall elect a chair of the committee and all committee members will represent UMMS trainees at institutional meetings, on institutional committees, and in other institutional functions, as appropriate.
- The RLC shall, in a timely manner, communicate all activities of the RLC and the GMEC to all UMMS trainees.
- The RLC will advise and participate with the GMEC in the establishment and implementation of institutional guidelines and policies for selection, evaluation, promotion and dismissal of trainees.
- The RLC will advise and participate with the GMEC in the establishment and implementation of fair policies and procedures regarding adverse academic or disciplinary actions taken against trainees.
- The RLC will advise and participate with the GMEC in the establishment and implementation of the institutional policies and procedures for the discipline and adjudication of resident complaints and grievances against the Institution and/or the GME programs.
- The RLC will assist the institution and programs in establishing, monitoring, and maintaining appropriate service, academic, and research environments for individuals involved in graduate medical education.
- The RLC will advise and assist the institution in the development of educational workshops and modules.
- RLC members may invite Hospital Administrators or others as deemed appropriate to their committee meetings to address specific issues.
- All RLC members are voting members of the GMEC.
- The GMEC RLC meets monthly, one hour prior to the regular monthly GMEC meeting. A schedule will be provided to all members.
- The RLC can, at its discretion, adjourn to an executive session at any time during their monthly meeting. Executive sessions are attended by RLC members only.
Term of Service:
- RLC members shall serve one year terms and will be elected annually.
- Term of service is from July 1 through June 30 (one full academic year).
- New members will attend the June meeting for orientation and welcome to the GMEC RLC.
- Standing committee members will continue to serve on an ongoing basis.
Peer Selection Procedure:
- Every department will be asked to peer nominate one representative and one alternate. The departments are as follows: Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Medicine/Pediatrics, General Surgery, Diagnostic Radiology, Orthopaedic Surgery, Dermatology, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, Psychiatry, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Family Medicine, Urologic Surgery, Anesthesiology, Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Therapeutic Radiology, and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- The GME Administrative Office will contact each UMMS program in late May/early June to conduct the election.
- The program notifies GME Administration with the name and contact information for the peer-selected resident(s) or fellow(s) and the alternate.
- GME Administration contacts the new RLC members to invite them to meet the GMEC chair at the June GMEC RLC meeting to review their responsibilities.
- The Associate Dean for GME notifies the programs to release GMEC RLC members from their duties to participate in all activities pertaining to the RLC.