Kay Schwebke, MD, MPH, MA, is board certified in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases. She received her medical school training at Mount Sinai School of Medicine (New York) and her Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases training at the University of Minnesota. She completed a Masters in Public Health (Epidemiology) in 1995 and a Masters in Health Journalism (2009).
Dr. Schwebke joined the staff at HCMC in April 1997. She is the medical director of the HCMC Coinfection Clinic and the medical director of a an electronic commercial quality measurement tool. She was medical director of a primary care clinic in southern Minnesota from 1996-1999 and a long term care facility from 2000-2010. Her main clinical interests include the management of HIV and hepatitis C infection.
- Schwebke K. Erasing the burden of depression with resilience training. MedCity News, July 1, 2011. [author]
- Schwebke K. Prevention model for bloodstream infections offers hope, but incidents persist. MinnPost, July 22, 2010. [author]
- Schwebke K. Rx for medical overuse: treat less, talk more. MPR News Q, August 13, 2009. [author]
- Schwebke K. As recession bites, Minnesota hospitals struggle with unpaid bills. MinnPost, May 22, 2009. [author]
- Schwebke K. Helping the Women who Served: The Healing Role of the Vietnam Women’s Memorial. Accepted for publication: AJN, May 2009. [author]
- Schwebke K. Vietnam-era nurses remember their patients as Wall monument marks 25th anniversary. MinnPost, November 9, 2007.
- Alexander BJ, Plank P, Carlson MB, Hanson P, Picken K, Schwebke K. Methods of Pain Assessment in Residents of Long-term Care Facilities: A Pilot Study. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2005;6:137-143.
- Schwebke KE. Prevention and Management of Influenza in the Nursing Home Population. Annals of Long-Term Care 1999:7(12):443-6.
- Mundy LS, Janoff EN, Schwebke KE, Shanholtzer CJ, Willard KE. Ambiguity in the Identification of Streptococcus pneumoniae: Optochin, Bile Solubility, Quellung, and the AccuProbe DNA Probe Tests. Am J Clin Pathol 1998;109:55-61.
- Schwebke KE, Henry K, Balfour HH Jr, Olson D, Crane T, Jordan MC, Congenital cytomegalovirus infection due to non-primary cytomegalovirus disease in a mother with AIDS. J Pediatr 1995;126:293-5.
- Schwebke KE, Fletcher CV, Acosta EP, Henry K. Pentamidine concentrations in a neonate and his mother with AIDS: case report. Clin Infect Dis 1995;20:1569-70.
- Ballion J, Schwebke K. High Risk Healthcare. KMSP Fox 9 News. Aired as a television investigative news story on November 9, 2008.