Maryam Valapour, MD, MPP
Assistant Professor, Center for Bioethics
Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine,
University of Minnesota Medical School
Dr. Valapour completed her training in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine as well as Bioethics and Health Policy at Johns Hopkins University. . In addition, she has a Master of Public Policy degree from the Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs at the University of Minnesota. She currently holds joint appointments in the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and the Center for Bioethics at the University of Minnesota.
Dr. Valapour's clinical practice is focused on the evaluation of lung transplant candidates and the care of lung transplant recipients.
Currently Dr. Valapour serves as the senior lung investigator for the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR). The SRTR is the scientific branch of the national organ allocation and transplantation system and coordinates with the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) and the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) to report on the state of transplantation across the United States.
In addition, she holds NIH funding to study informed consent in transplantation and is currently the lead investigator for the Renal Lung Living Donor Evaluation study (RELIVE).
Selected Recent Publications:
(For a comprehensive listing of Dr. Valapour's recent publications refer to PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine)
- Valapour M. Ethics of organ distribution in lung transplantation. Minnesota Medicine. 2004; 87(6):36-7.
- Valapour M. Donation after cardiac death: consent is the issue – not death. J Clin Ethics. 2006; 17(2): 137-8.
- Valapour M, Kahn JP, Rogers TB, Bailey RF, Matas AJ. Living donors: What do they understand? Am J Transplantation. 2007; 7(S2): 283.
- Valapour M. Living donor transplantation: the perfect balance of public oversight and medical responsibility. J Clin Ethics. 2007; 18(1):18-20; discussion 21-2.
- Valapour M. The live organ donor's consent: is it informed and voluntary? Transplant Rev (Orlando). 2008; 22(3):196-9. Review.
- Valapour M. Caution in expanding role of transplant professionals in assessing living organ donors. Clin Transplant, 2009; 23(2):162-3.
- McCurry KR, Shearon TH, Edwards LB, Chan KM, Sweet SC, Valapour M, Yusen R, Murray S. Lung transplantation in the United States, 1998-2007. Am J Transplant. 2009; 9(4 Pt 2):942-58.
- Valapour M, Kahn JP, Bailey RF, Matas AJ. Assessing elements of informed consent among living donors. Clin Transplant. 2011;25:185-190.
Current Grant Support
- HRSA 2010 – Present
Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients
- NIH/NHLBI K23 HL07210 9/22/2006 - 8/31/2011
Understanding Barriers To Living Donor Lung Transplant
- MMF 2009-2011
Designing Effective and Fair Organ Transplant Allocation
Clinical Center-Outcomes of Live Organ Donors