Clinical Training – Years 3 & 4
You will complete years 3 and 4 of your Medical School curriculum in clinical rotations at hospitals and clinics in the Twin Cities metro, Duluth, or in greater Minnesota.
You will rotate through 56 weeks of required clerkships during your 3rd and 4th years, which include:
- Internal Medicine (8 weeks)
- General Surgery and surgical subspecialties (8 weeks)
- Family Medicine (4 weeks)
- Obstetrics/Gynecology (4 weeks)
- Pediatrics (4 weeks)
- Psychiatry (4 weeks)
- Neurology (4 weeks)
- Emergency Medicine (4 weeks)
- ICU Sub-Internship (4 weeks)
- Advanced Selectives (8 weeks)
The remaining 20 weeks are reserved for elective study to explore your specialty of interest and related specialties. Electives are also available for domestic and international away rotations.
You’ll have the opportunity to rotate through more than 18 different affiliated partner hospitals and clinics around Minnesota including:
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview (Minneapolis)
- Veterans Affairs Medical Center (Minneapolis)
- Hennepin County Medical Center (Minneapolis)
- Health Partners Regions' Hospital (St. Paul)
- St. Lukes Hospital (Duluth)
- Essentia (Duluth)
Several Longitudinal Integrated Clerkships (LICs) are also offered to help students individualize their pathway to the MD degree with specific learning themes.
To graduate, you’ll also be required to pass both steps of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE).