Minnesota Future Doctors
Minnesota Future Doctors (MFD) prepares premedical students from Minnesota communities underrepresented in medicine for admission to medical school.
MFD provides critical coaching and support to its scholars in order to assist in the development of a competitive portfolio for their application to medical school. Scholars that meet program expectations will receive MCAT preparation courses and materials, American Medical College Application System (AMCAS) application support, research opportunities, physician shadowing, connections to health-related experiences, and individualized advising to assist scholars with successful admission into medical school.
Minnesota Future Doctors has helped me believe in myself and reach for things I never imagined possible. Thanks to the program, I was able to go to Yale School of Medicine for a summer-intensive, premedical program. - Mohamed H.
Minnesota Future Doctors selection criteria:
We select 10 students annually to join the Minnesota Future Doctors community. Applications are reviewed holistically, and competitive applicants are invited to interview for this highly selective program. Minnesota Future Doctors applicants should be:
- Full time student enrolled at a College or University
- Academically strong and high achieving (GPA of 3.2 or higher)
- First-generation college student
- From an under-resourced background
- From a rural community, underrepresented in medicine or diverse background
- Demonstrates early engagement in medical-related experiences
- Has made progress in prerequisite courses for medical school
- Must be a Minnesota resident
* The Minnesota Future Doctors program focuses on supporting students in their first or second year of college, and students who recently transferred to a four year College or University.
MFD scholars will participate in:
- Medical-related and undergraduate research experiences
- MCAT preparation
- One-on-one advising and workshops focused on preparing and applying to medical school
- Individual development of action plans
- Collaborative advising with the University of Minnesota Health Careers Center and the Medical School Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity
- The Future Physician Series offered by the Health Careers Center, and Empowering Multicultural Students for Careers in Medicine Seminar offered by the Medical School
- Complete online application - Application cycle for the 2016-17 academic year has closed. Please check back September of 2017 for 2017-18 application materials.
- Academic or professional recommendation - A Form will be sent directly to who you list in your application
- University and College unofficial transcripts emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Medical school planning guide: The Hand of a Phenomenal Pre-Med (9MB PDF)