Minnesota Future Doctors
Minnesota Future Doctors (MFD) prepares premedical students from Minnesota communities underrepresented in medicine for admission to medical school.
MFD provides critical coaching and support to its scholars in order to assist in the development of a competitive portfolio for their application to medical school. Scholars that meet program expectations will receive MCAT preparation courses and materials, American Medical College Application System (AMCAS) application support, research opportunities, physician shadowing, connections to health-related experiences, and individualized advising to assist scholars with successful admission into medical school.
Minnesota Future Doctors has helped me believe in myself and reach for things I never imagined possible. Thanks to the program, I was able to go to Yale School of Medicine for a summer-intensive, premedical program. - Mohamed H.
Minnesota Future Doctors selection criteria:
We select 10 students annually to join the Minnesota Future Doctors community. Applications are reviewed holistically, and competitive applicants are invited to interview for this highly selective program.
- Minnesota Residency; US citizen or Permanent Residency, or DACA Status
- Full time student enrolled at a 4-year college or university
- Demonstrate potential for strong academic performance (minimum cumulative GPA 3.2 and minimum ACT composite 24)
- First or second year student OR transfer from community college
- First generation college student
- From an underserved community in medicine
- From economically challenged homes
MFD scholars will participate in:
- Medical-related and undergraduate research experiences
- MCAT preparation
- One-on-one advising and workshops focused on preparing and applying to medical school
- Individual development of action plans
- Collaborative advising with the University of Minnesota Health Careers Center and the Medical School Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity
- The Future Physician Series offered by the Health Careers Center, and Empowering Multicultural Students for Careers in Medicine Seminar offered by the Medical School
The application for the 2017-2018 academic year is closed. Applications for the 2018-2019 academic year will be available Fall 2018.
Medical school planning guide: The Hand of a Phenomenal Pre-Med (9MB PDF)