Honors and Awards:
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award for Predoctoral MD/PhD Fellows, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, 2012-2014
- University of Minnesota Department of Neuroscience Milne-Brandenburg Award, 2012
- University of Minnesota Department of Neuroscience Poppele Award, 2012
- Morris Smithberg Memorial Prize for outstanding performance by a first-year neuroscience graduate student, University of Minnesota, 2011
- University of Minnesota Milne-Brandenburg Award, 2011
- Honors, Years 1 and 2, Medical School
MSTP Student Governance:
- Student Advisory Committee 2014-2016
- Student Admissions Committee, 2013
Thesis Advisor: Timothy Ebner, M.D., Ph.D.
The goal of my thesis research is to further the understanding of cerebellar physiology. Specifically, my work focuses on investigating the way in which information is spatially represented and integrated into the cerebellar circuitry. In pursuit of this goal, I employ techniques including autofluorescence and calcium dye optical imaging as well as electrophysiology and optogenetics, all of which are performed in vivo.
Cramer SW, Popa LS, Carter RE, Chen G, Ebner TJ. Abnormal excitability and episodic low-frequency oscillations in the cerebral cortex of the tottering mouse. J Neurosci. 2015 Apr 8;35(14):5664-79. PMCID: PMC4388925
Armbrust KR, Wang X, Hathorn TJ, Cramer SW, Chen G, Zu T, Kangas T, Zink AN, Öz G, Ebner TJ, Ranum LP. Mutant β-III spectrin causes mGluR1α mislocalization and functional deficits in a mouse model of spinocerebellar ataxia type 5. J Neurosci. 2014 Jul 23;34(30):9891-904. PMCID: PMC4107406
Cramer SW, Gao W, Chen G, Ebner TJ. Reevaluation of the beam and radial hypotheses of parallel fiber action in the cerebellar cortex. J Neurosci. 2013 Jul 10;33(28):11412-24. PMCID: PMC3724546
Ebner TJ, Wang X, Gao W, Cramer SW, Chen G. Parasagittal zones in the cerebellar cortex differ in excitability, information processing, and synaptic plasticity. Cerebellum. 2012 Jun;11(2):418-9. doi: 10.1007/s12311-011-0347-1. Review. PMCID: PMC22249913
Publications Prior to Entering MD/PhD Program:
Begum G, Kintner D, Liu Y, Cramer SW, Sun D. DHA inhibits ER Ca2+ release and ER stress in astrocytes following in vitro ischemia. J Neurochem. 2012 Feb;120(4):622-30.
Cramer SW, Baggott C, Cain J, Tilghman J, Allcock B, Miranpuri G, Rajpal S, Sun D, Resnick D. The role of cation-dependent chloride transporters in neuropathic pain following spinal cord injury. Mol Pain. 2008 Sep 17;4:36.
Wang Y, Luo J, Chen X, Chen H, Cramer SW, Sun D. Gene inactivation of Na+/H+ exchanger isoform 1 attenuates apoptosis and mitochondrial damage following transient focal cerebral ischemia. Eur J Neurosci. 2008 ;28:51-61.
Luo J, Wang Y, Chen H, Kintner DB, Cramer SW, Gerdts JK, Chen X, Shull GE, Philipson KD, Sun D. A concerted role of Na+ -K+ -Cl- cotransporter and Na+/Ca2+ exchanger in ischemic damage. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2008 28:737-746.