Non-Medical School Course Enrollment

Because of the intensity of the medical school curriculum, students are encouraged to seriously evaluate the demands on their time before requesting to enroll in additional courses outside of the medical school.

To enroll in a non-medical school course, students must submit the Request for Non-Medical Coursework and Tuition Reimbursement form (pdf).

Once approved students will be allowed to enroll in one additional credit-bearing course per semester. Below are the steps to enroll for a non-medical school course. 

  1. Search for a course
  2. Decide which career you want the course to be listed on your transcript – undergraduate or graduate
      • 4XXX or lower = Undergraduate level
      • 5XXX = Undergraduate or Graduate level (your choice)
      • 6XXX or higher = graduate level
      • You cannot change the career after you have been enrolled
      • Note the tuition difference – undergraduate level cost less than graduate level. See below for more details on tuition reimbursement

   3. Non-degree registration process for both undergraduate and graduate coursework can be found at the One Stop website

Tuition Reimbursement Eligibility

Non-degree course registration is not covered under your medical school tuition semester band. Also, financial aid funds cannot be increased to cover the additional tuition expenses. You will be required to pay for the additional tuition and fees unless you qualify for a medical school tuition reimbursement award.

In order to be eligible for a medical school tuition reimbursement award, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be in good academic standing
  • Apply for only one course per semester
  • Take a course that relates to their medical education (e.g. courses in public health, spirituality and healing, or Medical Spanish)
  • Take the course for credit (not audit)
  • Have not previously dropped or withdrawn from a non-medical school course

 Reimbursement for non-medical school course work is subject to availability of funds. For more information, contact Kristin Basballe ( in the Office of Financial Aid.

Contact Medical Education

Twin Cities Campus

Duluth Campus