Seek treatment within 1-2 hours after initial exposure, as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Clean it
- Report it - contact your supervisor or preceptor.
- Call for Help - 24 hour help line: 612-625-7900
- Get Treated - Follow Instructions given by helpline.
- ID source patient
- Get follow-up exam - Contact Boynton Health Services at 612-625-3222
Also see the policy: Educational Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens and Tuberculosis, Section VII. Protocol for Exposure to Blood Borne Pathogens During Educational Experiences.
Protect yourself from needlestick injuries
- Plan for safe handling and disposal before using needles.
- Dispose of used needles promptly in sharps disposal containers.
- Complete annual blood borne pathogen training.
- Get your hepatitis B vaccines.
- Report all sharps-related injuries to your supervisor to ensure appropriate follow-up.