International Medical Graduates
The University of Minnesota welcomes International Medical Graduates (IMGs) to our residencies and fellowships.
Eligibility of international medical graduates (IMGs)
Per the Eligibility and Selection of Residents/Fellows Policy, to qualify for a residency/fellowship at the University of Minnesota, International Medical Graduates (IMGs) must meet all criteria found in the policy and provide documentation of one of the following:
- A currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), or
- An unrestricted license to practice medicine in a U.S. state, or
- Successful completion of a Fifth Pathway Program in an LCME-accredited medical school in the United States.
IMG Orientation 2016
IMG Orientation was held on Friday, June 17, 2016. See our Orientation page for more information.
- ECFMG Website
- Institutional Policies Regarding IMGs:
- ECFMG/J1 Visa Holders: Documentation Requirements for FMLA
- Institution International Medical Graduates Policy
- Institution Visa Sponsorship Policy
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- University of Minnesota International Student & Scholar Services
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security website
- U.S. Department of State website
- U.S. Department of State J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program website
J-1 Visa questions:
Contact Christy Illig and Rachel Whitcomb via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Orientation session for IMGs (International Medical Graduates) questions:
Contact Andrea Medina at email@example.com.
Contact the individual program to which you plan to apply for information about eligibility and their application process.
An International Medical Graduate is a physician who received his/her basic medical degree or qualification from a medical school located outside the United States and Canada. The location of the medical school, not the citizenship of the physician, determines whether the graduate is an IMG. This means that U.S. citizens who graduated from medical schools outside the United States and Canada are considered IMGs.