Department History

The Radiation Oncology program at the University of Minnesota has existed as a division of the Medical School since 1925. The department thrived and grew as part of the University from 1925 through 1970.  In 1970, The Department of Therapeutic Radiology-Radiation Oncology was established by the Board of Regents of the University of Minnesota. The department existed as Therapeutic Radiology-Radiation Oncology until 2012. In 2012, the department name was changed to the Department of Radiation Oncology by the University of Minnesota Board of Regents.

A History of Leadership: Therapeutic Radiology-Radiation Oncology

Department Heads

Kathryn E. Dusenbery, M.D. 1999–present
Seymour H. Levitt, M.D. 1970–1999

Medical Physics Section Heads

Parham Alaei, Ph.D. 2016-present
Patrick D. Higgins, Ph.D. 2011–2016
Bruce Gerbi, Ph.D. 2001–2010
Faiz Khan, Ph.D. 1973–2001

Radiobiology Lab Section Head

Chang Song, Ph.D. 1970–present

Experimental Cancer Immunology Lab Section Head

Daniel Vallera, Ph.D. 1989–present

Division Heads

Guilio J. D'Angio, M.D. 1964–1968
Donn Mosser, M.D. 1956–1964
Karl Stenstrom, Ph.D. 1925–1956