Visiting medical students from domestic LCME-accredited medical schools and COCA-accredited medical schools ONLY may apply for selected elective rotations at the University of Minnesota Medical School.
International medical students are not accepted unless a formal agreement exists between their medical school and the University of Minnesota. For a list of medical schools with whom the University of Minnesota has formal agreements, please visit the website for the Global Medical Education & Research Program.
Application Procedure for Visiting Students from U.S. LCME-accredited Medical Schools or COCA-accredited Medical Schools
The University of Minnesota Medical School uses the AAMC's Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) to receive visiting student applications. Our institution information is available at AAMC's list of VSAS home institutions.
To apply to our institution, you will need to complete an application in VSAS. Do not send elective requests directly to our office or to course personnel. Due to the high volume of applications, do not email elective coordinators directly.
Applications must conform to established UMN electives and to the published calendar without exception. Visit the calendar
- in good academic standing
- completed at least 3 core clerkships (MED, SURG, OB/GYN, PED, Family Medicine and/or Psych) including one in the elective's specialty, if applicable
- passed USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX-USA Level 1
- receiving credit for the elective at your home school
- paying tuition at your home school during the period indicated
- have certification in OSHA safety measures and infection control precautions
- completed Basic Life Support (BLS) training
- are immunization compliant at home school (We accept only the AAMC Standard Immunization Form)
- completed HIPPA training
- completed a background check
- professional liability and malpractice coverage is provided by your home school of at least 1,000,000 per instance and 3,000,000 aggregate (Visiting students in elective rotations through the UMN Medical School do not have professional liability coverage from the University of Minnesota.)
- hold personal health insurance. Visiting students must provide verification that they carry their own health and accident insurance to cover any inpatient medical expenses they may incur.
Applications to specific calendar periods close 60 days prior to the start date of the elective.
If You Are Accepted
If you are offered and accept an elective, you will be asked to send a $200 processing fee. The fee must be received before you begin your rotation. If you have previously submitted a processing fee for an earlier elective, no additional fee is required.
Send checks to:
University of Minnesota Medical School
ATTN: Clinical Scheduler
420 Delaware Street SE, MMC 293
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Please put the course number and start date of your elective in the check memo.
For More Information
For more information, please browse our institution's visiting student electives in the VSAS Elective Catalog.