Pre-MSTP Summer Research Program
The University of Minnesota Medical Scientist Training Program (MD/PhD) offers a pre-MSTP summer research opportunity for undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing a combined MD/PhD degree. This opportunity is part of a National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded program where students spend ten weeks at the University of Minnesota conducting a research project focused on understanding the molecular and cellular basis of cardiovascular, pulmonary, or hematologic disorders and cancer biology. The pre-MSTP subprogram is part of the University of Minnesota’s Life Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Program (LSSURP).
The features of the pre-MSTP program at the University of Minnesota include:
- 10 week research project conducted in the laboratory of a University of Minnesota physician scientist
- Weekly clinical shadowing experience with a physician scientist
- Weekly seminars
- Interactions with current MSTP students at the University of Minnesota
- Orientation weekend retreat
- Presentation of your research at the LSSURP Poster Symposium
Students in the pre-MSTP receive a stipend, housing on the University of Minnesota campus, and a travel allowance.
The 2018 program dates are May 31 – August 11, 2018
The online application deadline is Feb. 1. Students interested in the pre-MSTP subprogram should select “HLB” as one of the program options on the application.
Additional information is available on the LSSURP website. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.