The University of Minnesota Medical Scientist Training Program (MD/PhD) offers a pre-MSTP summer research opportunity for undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing a combined MD/PhD degree. Students will spend 10 weeks in the lab of a physician scientist, have the opportunity to shadow their lab mentor or another physician scientist in clinical activities, and have regular interactions with current MSTP students. Research opportunities are available in cancer biology, immunology, neuroscience, cardiovascular biology, and hematologic disorders. The pre-MSTP program is part of the University of Minnesota’s Life Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Program (LSSURP).
The features of the pre-MSTP program at the University of Minnesota include:
- 10 week research project conducted in the laboratory of a University of Minnesota physician scientist
- Weekly clinical shadowing experience with a physician scientist
- Weekly seminars
- Interactions with current MSTP students at the University of Minnesota
- Orientation weekend retreat
- Presentation of your research at the LSSURP Poster Symposium
Students in the pre-MSTP receive a stipend, housing on the University of Minnesota campus, and a travel allowance.
The 2019 program dates are May 30 – August 9, 2019
The online application deadline is Feb. 1.
Additional information is available on the LSSURP website. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.