Away Rotation Discernment/Basics
- Away Rotation Basics and FAQ's - Start here.
- Residency Program Director Videos - Scroll to the bottom of the page. This is where residency directors from each specialty talk about what is needed in their specialty to be a competitive applicant for the Match.
- Program Director Survey - Report that is put out by NRMP each year that gives information about what program directors are looking for with applicants from all specialties. Includes information about the importance of away rotations. Scroll down to bottom of the page for the links.
- Advisor List
- Specialty Mentor List - All of these doctors are happy to answer specialty specific questions and serve as mentors for students interested in their specialty.
Preparation for Applications
- Checklist to Use for Each School - Gather pertinent information about each school you are thinking of applying to. Not all of the information will be applicable for every school.
- Documents to Gather (pdf) - Common documents that are requested by away rotation sites and instructions on where to go to obtain documentation if you do not have it.
- Affiliation Agreements - Sites we already have an affiliation agreement with. If a site you are interested in requests an affiliation agreement, contact email@example.com immediately.
- Where students have gone in the past
- List of Students willing to be contacted - Since this has student contact information in it, it is protected by UMN x500 so you will need to sign in using your @umn.edu rather than @d.umn.edu.
- Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) - During this time you will be able to view different institutions and search the electives they offer before you get verification for VSAS
- Institutions that use VSAS to accept applications
Apply for Away Rotations
- VSAS Fees and FAQ
- VSAS Application Instructions - coming soon (pending the combination of VSAS and GHLO)
- What we verify for VSAS students - coming soon
- For direct applications, please enter firstname.lastname@example.org if they ask for an email for verification.
- Once students have accepted away rotations, they should then fill out the UMN application form and upload it to the Elective Away for Credit BlackBag site to have it added to their schedules.