The Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Awards
Presented by the Arnold P. Gold Foundation
The Gold Foundation has selected the University of Minnesota Medical School as one of several institutions to participate in its Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Awards. The purpose is to promote the integration of humanism in the delivery of care to patients and their families. The awards are intended to spur dialogue, debate, and activities related to graduating scientifically excellent and compassionate physicians.
It is anticipated that the University of Minnesota Medical School will receive a grant of $2,000 for two $1,000 awards, to be presented to one graduating medical student and one faculty member who are judged to be exemplary in exhibiting these traits.
- consistently demonstrate compassion and empathy in the delivery of care to patients
- illustrate professional behavior by example
- show respect for everyone with whom he/she comes in contact
- demonstrate cultural sensitivity in working with patients and families of diverse ethnic or religious backgrounds
- display effective communication and listening skills
- have good rapport with patients
- adhere to professional ethical standards
- understand a patient’s need for interpretation of complex medical diagnosis and treatment and makes an effort to assure patient comprehension; shows respect for the patient’s viewpoint
- help to articulate the patient’s concerns to attending physicians and others
- pay attention and is sensitive to the patient’s psychological well-being
- be cooperative, easy to work with
- engender trust and confidence
- be willing to help others and, when necessary, willing to seek help from others
- display concern for the general welfare of the community and engages in volunteer activities
- seek and accept criticism, using it to improve performance
- be personally committed to objective self-evaluation of his or her skills
The submission window for the 2018 cycle will be December 11, 2017 - February 15, 2018 unless otherwise noted. Please review individual awards for nomination information. Many awards for faculty and students use the Faculty + Student Medical School Honors and Award Nomination Form and can be submitted online here.
All faculty awards will be distributed directly through the University of Minnesota's Payroll department and student awards will be distributed through the Office of Student Finance.
- Facts & Figures
- Office of the Dean
- Duluth Campus
- Twin Cities Campus
- Centers & Institutes
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Honors & Awards
- Giving to the Medical School