Anthony D. Baughn, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
PhD, Tufts University, 2004
Metabolic requirements for bacterial persistence
The ability of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb) to persist in the presence of anti-mycobacterial drugs and immune effector functions is the greatest obstacle in our attempt to eradicate tuberculosis (TB). My laboratory is investigating the hypothesis that persistence is enabled by entrance into and maintenance of a physiological state that is metabolically distinct from that of actively replicating bacilli. The aim of this work is to define this state (or series of states) and characterize pathways that are essential for its establishment and maintenance. My laboratory uses a variety of classical and novel approaches in mycobacterial genetics, biochemistry, physiology, and metabolomics to characterize i) novel aspects of intermediary metabolism in Mtb, ii) metabolic requirements for phenotypic drug tolerance, and iii) drug targets and drug-like compounds effective against persistent bacilli. While these studies address basic science questions about unique aspects of Mtb, they will also provide important contributions to the collaborative and global effort to eradicate TB.
- Alumasa JN, Manzanillo PS, Peterson ND, Lundrigan T, Baughn AD, Cox JS, Keiler KC. 2017. Ribosome rescue inhibitors kill actively growing and nonreplicating persister mycobacterium tuberculosis cells.ACS Infect Dis. 2017 Aug 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Dillon NA, Peterson ND, Feaga HA, Keiler KC, Baughn AD. 2017. Anti-tubercular activity of Pyrazinamide is independent of trans-translation and RpsA.Sci Rep. 2017 Jul 21;7(1):6135
- Thiede JM, Kordus SL, Turman BJ, Buonomo JA, Aldrich CC, Minato Y, Baughn AD. 2016. Targeting intracellular p-aminobenzoic acid production potentiates the anti-tubercular action of antifolates. Sci Rep. 2016 Dec 1;6:38083. doi: 10.1038/srep38083. PMID: 27905500
- Rosen BC, Dillon NA, Peterson ND, Minato Y, Baughn AD. 2016. Long-Chain Fatty Acyl-CoA Ligase FadD2 Mediates Intrinsic Pyrazinamide Resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016 Nov 14. pii: AAC.02130-16. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27855077
- Peterson ND, Rosen BC, Dillon NA, Baughn AD. 2015. Uncoupling environmental pH and intrabacterial acidification from pyrazinamide susceptibility in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother.Dec;59(12):7320-6. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00967-15.
- Minato Y, Thiede JM, Kordus SL, McKlveen EJ, Turman BJ, Baughn AD. 2015. Mycobacterium tuberculosis folate metabolism and the mechanistic basis for para-aminosalicylic acid susceptibility and resistance. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 59(9):5097-106.
- Baughn AD, Rhee KY. 2014. Metabolomics of Central Carbon Metabolism in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Microbiol Spectr. 2014 Jun;2(3). doi: 10.1128/microbiolspec.MGM2-0026-2013.
- Dillon NA, Peterson ND, Rosen BC, Baughn AD (2014) Pantothenate and pantetheine antagonize the anti-tubercular activity of pyrazinamide. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 58(12):7258-63.
- Bartek IL, Woolhiser LK, Baughn AD, Basaraba RJ, Jacobs WR Jr, Lenaerts AJ and Voskuil MI (2014) Mycobacterium tuberculosis Lsr2 is a global transcriptional regulator required for adaptation to changing oxygen levels and virulence. mBio 5:e01106-14.
- Zhao F, Wang XD, Erber LN, Luo M, Guo AZ, Yang SS, Gu J, Turman BJ, Gao YR, Li DF, Cui ZQ, Zhang ZP, Bi LJ, Baughn AD, Zhang XE, Deng JY. (2014) Binding pocket alterations in dihydrofolate synthase confer resistance to para-aminosalicylic acid in clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 58:1479-87.
- Baughn AD and Rhee KY (2014) Metabolomics of Central Carbon Metabolism in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. In Molecular Genetics of Mycobacteria 2nd Ed. (ed Jacobs WR and Hatfull GF). ASM Press, Washington, DC.
- Ahmad Z, Tyagi S, Minkowsk A, Almeida D, Nuermberger EL, Peck KM, Welch JT, Baughn AD, Jacobs WR, Grosset JH. (2012) Activity of 5-chloro-pyrazinamide in mice infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis orMycobacterium bovis. Indian J Med Res. 136:808-14.
- Meehan BM, Baughn AD, Gallegos R, Malamy MH. 2012. Inactivation of a single gene enables microaerobic growth of the obligate anaerobe Bacteroides fragilis.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 109:12153-12158.
- Besanceney-Webler C, Jiang H, Wang W, Baughn AD, Wu P. 2011. Metabolic labeling of fucosylated glycoproteins in Bacteroidales species. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 21:4989-92.
- Vilchèze C, Baughn AD, Tufariello J, Leung LW, Kuo M, Basler CF, Alland D, Sacchettini JC, Freundlich JS, Jacobs WR Jr. 2011. Novel inhibitors of InhA efficiently kill Mycobacterium tuberculosis under aerobic and anaerobic conditions. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 55:3889-98.
- Baughn AD, Deng J, Vilchèze C, Riestra A, Welch JT, Jacobs WR Jr, Zimhony O. 2010. Mutually exclusive genotypes for pyrazinamide and 5-chloropyrazinamide resistance reveal a potential resistance-proofing strategy.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 54:5323-8.
- Pruksakorn P, Arai M, Kotoku N, Vilchèze C, Baughn AD, Moodley P, Jacobs WR Jr, Kobayashi M. 2010. Trichoderins, novel aminolipopeptides from a marine sponge-derived Trichoderma sp., are active against dormant mycobacteria.Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 20:3658-63.
- Baughn AD, Garforth SJ, Vilchèze C, Jacobs WR Jr. 2009. An anaerobic-type alpha-ketoglutarate ferredoxin oxidoreductase completes the oxidative tricarboxylic acid cycle of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. PLoS Pathog. 5:e1000662.
- Arai M, Sobou M, Vilchéze C, Baughn A, Hashizume H, Pruksakorn P, Ishida S, Matsumoto M, Jacobs WR Jr, Kobayashi M. 2008. Halicyclamine A, a marine spongean alkaloid as a lead for anti-tuberculosis agent. Bioorg Med Chem. 16:6732-6.
- Ojha AK, Baughn AD, Sambandan D, Hsu T, Trivelli X, Guerardel Y, Alahari A, Kremer L, Jacobs WR Jr, Hatfull GF. 2008. Growth of Mycobacterium tuberculosis biofilms containing free mycolic acids and harbouring drug-tolerant bacteria. Mol Microbiol. 69:164-74.
- Glover RT, Kriakov J, Garforth SJ, Baughn AD, Jacobs WR Jr. 2007. The two-component regulatory system senX3-regX3 regulates phosphate-dependent gene expression in Mycobacterium smegmatis. J Bacteriol. 189:5495-503.
- Baughn AD, Malamy MH. 2004. The strict anaerobe Bacteroides fragilis grows in and benefits from nanomolar concentrations of oxygen. Nature. 427:441-4.
- Baughn AD, Malamy MH. 2003. The essential role of fumarate reductase in haem-dependent growth stimulation of Bacteroides fragilis. Microbiology. 149:1551-8.
- Baughn AD, Malamy MH. 2002. A mitochondrial-like aconitase in the bacterium Bacteroides fragilis: implications for the evolution of the mitochondrial Krebs cycle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 99:4662-7.