Due to the large number of foreign medical student applicants to the University of Minnesota Medical School, we have found it necessary to restrict registration of students to those applying from institutions with which we have affiliation agreements.
The required criteria are listed below. Only students identified by the visiting institutions Dean's office will be considered. Two students per site are accepted per academic year.
Formally affiliated sites
If you attend one of these schools you may be eligible for an elective at the University of Minnesota. You should contact your international program's office for application details.
- Makerere University, Uganda
- St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore, India
- Baruch Padeh – Poriya Hospital, Tiberias, Israel
- Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
- Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
- Chiang Mai University, Thailand
- The National University of Ireland, Galway
- Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
- Pontificia Unversidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
- Universidad de Ciencias Medicas (UCIMED) San Jose, Costa Rica
- Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM) Mexico City, Mexico
Required criteria for approved visiting international medical student applications. Please make sure all application materials are sent in one email to Shannon Benson at email@example.com. A letter of invitation will be initiated once complete application material has been received from the sending institution. Confirmation of travel dates can be made in advance and course availability/registration will be determined at least 6 weeks prior to visit.
- We must have a letter from the dean of the foreign medical school stating that the student is a current medical student in good academic standing and a copy of the student's c.v. and transcript. Visiting students are usually in their final year of medical school.
- Rotations must be taken according to the U of M Medical School calendar. We cannot make arrangements for start dates other than those established. Please identify the dates that you would like to visit the U of M.
- Courses are generally 3 or 4-week electives in medical and occasionally pediatrics or orthopaedic specialties. International students are limited to a maximum of 12 weeks at the U of M. Students should have completed major basic clinical rotations in medicine, pediatrics, surgery, obstetrics, and psychiatry before applying. Please refer to curriculum information for course information. Visiting students are not eligible for courses listed as required. Please select 3 or 4 courses that are of interest and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- Housing is the responsibility of the visiting student. For some available options, view a housing options resource sheet.
- Health Insurance is the responsibility of the visiting student.
- Complete and submit this Immunization Form.