Years 1 & 2 Medical Students

Visit us:

Shannon Benson
C311 Mayo Building

1st and 2nd year students: 

Visit the GMER office to discuss opportunities available to you.

2nd year students: 

Register for 3rd and 4th year electives in the winter.

Thinking about an elective abroad in Years 3 or 4? 

If you are interested in participating in the Global Medical Education and Research (GMER) elective (INMD 7565 - Global Health Abroad), visit the GMER office to discuss opportunities available to you.

Summer global health opportunities for medical students betweens Year 1 and 2

The summer break between the first and second years provides an excellent opportunity for Global Health-related activities. Students are encouraged to apply for a Walter Judd Fellowship which provides financial support for such experiences.

Please then consider one of these summer-global-health-experiences-2017.pdf.

Funding options for summer opportunities

Orientation for international experiences

collection of online resources from the Center for Global Health and Social Responsibility.

International travel registry for Students

Are you planning on taking your stethoscope with you? If yes, then you are acting as a medical student and you are representing the U of M Medical School during your trip.  

Who must register?

University of Minnesota students including undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree students, medical residents, and fellows traveling abroad for University purposes must register their travel. Registration facilitates compliance with the University’s Education Abroad policy.

What is traveling "for University purposes"?

Traveling for University purposes includes travel:

  • led by University faculty and staff
  • promoted by University faculty, staff, and units
  • funded by the University
  • where credit is awarded or degree requirements are fulfilled.

Examples include work, internships, field study, research, volunteering, conference or workshop attendance, athletic events, and Campus Life Program (CLP) activities abroad.

Travel with a Registered Student Organization (RSO), that is not otherwise funded or supported by the University, and personal travel such as a vacation is not for University purposes.

Benefits of the travel registry

  • You will be provided with a 24/7 emergency contact during your stay for urgent issues that may arise.
  • Complete online health and safety orientation
  • Obtain University approved international travel and security insurance for close to $32.00/mo

Registration website:

International Travel Registry for Students website